Tiger Nuts a.k.a. Aki Awusa in Igbo, Aya in Hausa, Isip Isong in Efik/Ibibio, Ofio in Yoruba, Hausa Groundnut in Pidgin is suplus in the northern side of Nigeria, the northerners have a special treat called Kunu aya (tiger nut milk)
Virtually all Nigerians would have eaten this fruit one time or the other…it is nutty,milky and delicious except when you taste the rotten ones(chai).
Let me summarise how u can make Kunu Aya.
You will Need:
1)500g of dry Tiger nut
2)1.5 litres of water
3)Additional ingredient (Sugar,ginger,milk cinnamon,tumeric)based on preference.
1)Soak tiger nut in water for 2days preferably in a fridge so that fermentation is controlled.
2)Wash and blend the soaked tiger nut.
3)Use stocking cloth to seperate themilk from the
chaff..do this continuosly till all the milk has been
4)Package and store in the Fridge(the shelf life of Kunu aya is short and over exposure at room temperature could make it spoil). I never knew this fruit were so nutritious till I did a little research on them..this are my findings.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF TIGER NUT.
1) Tigernut oil can be used for Cosmetic: As it is antidioxide (because of its high content in vitamin E) it helps slow down the ageing of the body cells. It favours the elasticity of the skin and reduces skin wrinkles..
2) It supplies the body with enough quantity of Vitamin E, very essential for fertility in both men and women.
3) It contains enough protein and carbohydrates
4) It is excellent for colitis and the juice is used as a liver tonic, heart stimulant, take to heal serious
stomach pain, promote normal menstruation, heal mouth and gum ulcers, use in Ayurvedic medicines as a powerful aphrodisiac (sexual stimulant)
5)It prevents constipation diarrhoea, dysentery, debility (physical weakness) and indigestion.
6)It has necessary essential minerals; calcium,magnesium and iron necessary for bones, tissues repairs, muscles and the blood stream.
Next time you see this fruit,never underestimate it,its one of the best fruit choked with a lot of goodness you can find around.
7) It has been reported to be a “health” food, since its consumption can help prevent heart disease and
thrombosis and is said to activate blood circulation and reduce the risk of colon cancer..
..This and many more…